Do you struggle with creating realistic light, shadow and form?
Are you tired of flat, boring and lifeless drawings and paintings?
If you answered yes, then you are not alone...
Whether you're a beginner or an experienced artist, creating realistic drawings can be challenging. When I began my artistic journey I struggled with lighting and form for years.
One day I began to study with several professional artists who were masters of lighting and form. What I discovered were simple and powerful secret techniques and strategies to get more realistic lighting.
These powerful secretes transformed my work and my career. Now I want to share these secretes with you in this course...
Is this course right for me?
In this course you will discover tools and strategies to get more realistic light, shadow and form and how to get consistent results.
These skills not only add more realism and naturalism to your work, but will also make your work much more impactful, dramatic, professional and higher quality.
So whether you are creating portraits, figure drawings, still-lifes or illustrations, these skills will take your art to the next level.
This course is designed for serious artists and art students. The skills learned will improve your work for:
- portraits and portrait commissions
- fine art life drawings and paintings
- fine art still life paintings
- comic books and book covers
- concept artists and illustrators
If you're serious about improving your lighting and form for your portfolio, career or for personal mastery, then this course is right for you!
What Will I Learn?
How to See and Interpret Light
Lighting is an important part of realistic art. When we can correctly see and identify and interpret the light on our models and subjects, we have a much greater chance to control lighting, form and values in our drawings and paintings.
Suggesting Form with Line
Line and making good marks is an important tool for all artists. Knowing how to control your lines and design your marks to suggest form at every stage of the drawing will give your form a strong foundation to build more form and realism.
How to Make Forms and Details Come to Life
Beautiful, realistic forms and details is eye-catching and exciting for the viewer. In this course you will learn secrets to controlling your tones, marks and values to make your forms and details 'pop' and come to life!
What's Inside the Course?
Lighting and Form Mastery is an in-depth video course with over 5 hours of content! Including lectures, demonstrations, detailed homework excercises, handouts and more!
The course is into five Modules. Each Module is designed to build your knowledge and skills as you progress. Here is a sample of topics covered:
Module 1: Introduction and Overview
Module 2: Suggesting Form with Line
- form drawing techniques
- freehand perspective and construction
- line drawing demo and exercises
Module 3: Sculpting Form with Tone
Module 4: Inventing Light
Module 5: Homework and Resources
See below for full course curriculum...
- 01 - Form Drawing 1: Perspective (4:53)
- 02 -Form Drawing 2: In the Round (4:40)
- 03 - Form Drawing 3: Construction Methods (4:56)
- 04 - Draw Along #1: Form Drawing Warm-up (5:54)
- 05 - Process and Techniques, Part 1 (13:17)
- 06 - Process and Techniques, Part 2 (15:30)
- 07 - Process and Techniques, Part 3 (9:54)
- 08 - Process and Techniques, Part 4 (10:30)
- 01 - Edges and Application (7:42)
- 02 - Examples and Analysis #1: Figures - Loomis (12:58)
- 03 - Examples and Analysis #2: Figures - Huston, Solomon (9:47)
- 04 - Examples and Analysis #3: Portraits - Loomis (9:21)
- 05 - Examples and Analysis #4: Portrait Painting (5:55)
- 06 - Demo #1: Male torso, side view - Part 1 (6:40)
- 07 - Demo #1: Male torso, side view - Part 2 (10:29)
- 08 - Demo #2: Female torso - Part 1 (6:36)
- 09 - Demo #2: Female torso - Part 2 (11:48)
- 10 - Demo #2: Female torso - Part 3 (11:52)
- 11 - Demo #3: Portrait - Part 1 (4:08)
- 11 - Demo #3: Portrait - Part 2 (10:22)
- 11 - Demo #3: Portrait - Part 3 (9:26)
- 11 - Demo #3: Portrait - Part 4 (8:32)
- 01 - Introduction to Lighting and Value (9:49)
- 02 - Difficult and Complex Lighting: Introduction (1:47)
- 03 - Difficult and Complex Lighting: Types of Lighting (8:57)
- 04 - Difficult and Complex Lighting: Strategies, Part 1 (7:45)
- 05 - Difficult and Complex Lighting: Strategies, Part 2 (8:38)
- 06 - Draw Along #2: Inventing Light from Imagination (7:32)
- 07 - Draw Along #2: Inventing Light from Imagination Part 2 (10:16)
- 08- Demo: Shadow Dominant, Part 1 (4:54)
- 09 - Demo: Shadow Dominant, Part 2 (7:32)
- 10 - Demo: Shadow Dominant, Part 3 (10:05)
- 11 - Demo: Shadow Dominant, Part 4 (12:41)
About the Instructor
Chris Legaspi is a dedicated, life-long Artist with over 20 years of professional experience. His work can be seen in hit movies, TV shows and video games. His most notable projects and clients include Lord of the Rings, Deadpool 2, Shaft, Luke Cage, Marvel, Disney and Warner Bros. Pictures.
Along with his professional experience, Chris is a popular and admired author and instructor. He has taught at some of the most prestigious art schools in the world including Gnomon and the New Masters Academy. His two recent drawing instruction books, published by Rockport, are available worldwide in multiple languages.
His clear and elegant communication style combined with his passion for teaching and helping serious and dedicated students has allowed his students and mentees to reach new levels in their artwork and careers. Several of Chris’ former students have gone on to work professionally in entertainment, video games and comics.
For more artwork, visit Chris' Instagram @draw.withchris.
See below for a sample of Chris' work...
Reviews and Testimonials
Questions and Comments?
We are here to help. For questions and comments, email our support team at: support (at) drawwithchris (dot) com.
Frequently Asked Questions
> How long will I have access to the class?
All enrolled students will have lifetime access to all videos, lessons and all class materials such as handouts and references.
> I’m a beginner at drawing, should I take the class?
Although this class will focus on light, shadow and form, It is recommended to have at least a base level of head and figure drawing experience.
If you want to build your drawing foundation before taking this class, I recommend my Head and Figure Drawing Foundation Programs. See 'Available Programs' below for more information...
> Can you mentor me?
Yes. If you are serious about improving your skills and career and want to be personally guided by me every week, there are mentorship options available.
> Do you offer a money back guarantee?
Yes. Full refund, no questions asked.
Do you want to know more? If you still have burning questions that need to be answered contact our support team at: support (at) drawwithchris (dot) com.
Available Programs and Courses
Learn powerful tools and techniques to help you draw your best figures, faces and portraits.